A few words about patents:
- We have worked with businesses and individuals to help them achieve a patent for their design.
Here is how we can help:
- Put you in contact with patent lawyers we have found effective in the past
- Produce patent drawings for your design
- Help draft descriptions and claims with a patent lawyer
Get the core design work done first
We recommended that you complete the core design work before you apply for a patent. This means that you shouldn’t start applying for a patent until you are confident that the basic design will work. Of course, if your design is so simple that it is unlikely to require any ‘proof of concept’ work then this may not apply. The reason we recommend this is simple. If you apply for a patent first it may be that as you develop your design your patent no longer resembles your product. This can be a very costly mistake to make.
Keep things quiet
As you work on your designs – prior to a patent pending – keep your new product idea or invention as confidential as you can. Anyone that needs to be involved should be asked to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA).
You may still be protected by other legal measures. These include:
- Design rights – these can be registered but to some extent apply naturally like copyright law
- Trademarks ( if you have them )
For more information about patents contact us for a chat